Year 5 WW1 Letters

Year 5 have been learning about trenches in World War 1.
They then wrote a letter as a soldier to their family home. This is the class letter we wrote all together:

Saturday 9th October 1916

Dear my beloved wife, Lily

I finally have had time to write this letter to you. With all my heart and love, I cannot tell you how much I miss you every second of the day. Being apart from you is the hardest thing to deal with, it’s like my heart is torn apart. I feel like a part of me is missing. Anyway……how are our lovely children? They must have grown? How is there health these days?

The cold and dirty trenches, which are horrible, have terrible conditions. There are lots of rats, there everywhere, some are the size of cats! Sometimes, the rats slowly nibble the human flesh and steal the food! Let’s not mention the lice and flies that are ready to suck our blood! I am so tired from all the daily chores, you know the other day, I was asked to bury the dead. I mean what a disgusting job to do.

I crave for sleep. They expect you to survive on 3 hours! Are they mad?!

At night, when it is really cold, you HAVE to stay awake, the enemy can attack at any time. It’s really quite scary and sometimes I feel terrified.

Last week, my friend Joey, suffered a severe case of Trench foot, the poor thing has had to have his toes taken off. I mean, we cannot control the weather, when it rains, our feet are soaked for hours and sometimes days. It is very painful. Poor Joey….

Anyway, hope to live another day! There is not a day that goes by, when I do not think about you all, sending lots of love and prayers.

Yours faithfully,

Albert. xxx